This beautiful section of Litchfield, CT was originally settled about 1740. In its earliest days it was known as the “Northwest Section,” but soon was called “Blue Swamp” because of the blue gentian wild flowers that grew beneath the many tamarack trees which flourished in the swampy area. The name Milton was chosen in 1795, probably in honor of John Milton, the English poet.
Milton is situated on the Shepaug River, an ideal location that provided water power and encouraged industry. Early in the 19th century there were 5 saw mills, 2 gristmills, 2 iron works, 2 wood turners, a wheelwright, 2 shoemakers, a maker of wooden clocks, a carriage maker, a cheese industry, and 6 school districts in the idyllic area. But by 1891, the railroad no longer served nearby Litchfield and industry began to shift to other towns. At the end of the nineteenth century only the Hinchcliff Shear Shop survived.
This beautiful section of Litchfield continues to have a sense of timelessness about it. At its center is the unspoiled Milton Green that is bordered by some of the first homes, one of the former schoolhouses, Trinity Episcopal Church, the Congregational Church, the Milton Public Hall, and the Milton Academy building.
Source: Historic District Study Committee Report, Milton, CT, January 1975