In 1726, Benjamin Boardman was granted the land on which this house stands to work as a farm. Today, Dickinson Farm is one of the few remaining intact farms in Litchfield that dates back to the 18th century. The existing Colonial house was constructed circa 1760 and was designed as a five bay, central chimney residence.
During the 19th century, a two bay extension was added and, for a period of time, served as a cobbler’s shop. In 1849, Edwin P. Dickinson bought the house and surrounding farm land. This property remained in his family for the next 110 years.
The current owner has added on a great room in the back of the house for use as an art studio and display of family art. The fabulous wall mural in the dining room, illustrating Litchfield history, is a continuing work in progress.