William Sprat, a British soldier of Scottish decent, came to Hartford and to Litchfield as a paroled war prisoner following the defeat of General Burgoyne, prior to 1779. Sprat bought five acres of land in Milton in 1786 and, as a trained architect and builder, built his own small gambrel dwelling. The house, erected in 1787 with chimney and front entry on the original north-end, was typically called a “half-house.”
A shoemaker’s shop operated in the residence from 1814-1834.
In the 20th century, the present north side and gambrel roof were joined to the original house. Dormers were added to the house in the 1920s.
Highlights of the original house are the well in the kitchen, the raised panel doors throughout the house, Litchfield hardware on some doors and a five light transom above the door.
Of interest outside are a vintage three seat outhouse and various sheds.